The Canadian Press

1997-07-14 | Hamilton Fire

Preview Clip

A huge toxic fire gutted a plastics and vinyl recycling plant in Hamilton on July 9th. Officials issued a voluntary evacuation notice for about four thousand people in a 15-block area around the plant. Health officials said there was no long-term damage from the smoke and fumes. But residents like Clive Jones said they were getting mixed messages about just how safe the area was. (Greenpeace called the Plastimet site the most toxic in Canada after its tests showed dioxin levels up to 25 times higher than provincial standards. Ministry of Environment tests show levels 50 times the standard. But officials said the dioxin was confined to the site itself, and much more extensive testing of surrounding areas proved they were safe.)

Date: 1997-07-14
Placeline: HAMILTON, Ontario.
Source: The Canadian Press
Length: 17 seconds

Transcript Prediction: << until we can't eat anything from our garden how we haven't been told how long that's been affected it this year next year forever doctor Gardens will fit a bet with Thea Stilton all the other chemicals that's that's something we won't be able to touch >>